Friday, December 6, 2013

The 20/20 Experience

The 20/20 Experience by Justin Timberlake
Label:  RCA(2013)
Genre: Music R&B

Annotation/Teaser  This R&B style album is not what is normally expected from Justin Timberlake.  With its retro feel, the CD is full of funky love songs.  This is not your typical romantic love song album.

Overview:  Justin Timberlake's The 20/20 Experience is a long awaited follow up to his last album, Future Sex/Love Sounds from 2006.  This album is meant to be a tribute of love to his romantic interest, Jessica Biel.  While the love songs are not your typical mushy songs, they are a funky mix of dance and R&B.  Not your typical mainstream pop album, Justin Timberlake has ventured into R&B and has turned his image of boy band member around.

About the SingerJustin Timberlake Justin Timberlake was born on January 31, 1981, Justin Timberlake began his career on The New Mickey Mouse Club, starring with Britney Spears and Christina Aguillera In 1995, he became a teen heartthrob with the pop group 'N Sync. After the pop groups immensely successful run in the '90s, Timberlake went solo in 2002, releasing his own album,
Justified. Timberlake proved he could stand alone with the Grammy-winning album, and continued his success as a solo artist with FutureSex/LoveSounds (2006) and The 20/20 Experience (2013). Aside from a prominent singing career, Timberlake also proved himself a talented actor, starring in Alpha Dog (2006), The Social Network (2010) and In Time (2011).

Critical Evaluation:  This album is advertised as a pop album but it is not quite that.  It is a more soulful, R&B that is reminiscent of Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, and Stevie Wonder.  The tracks are a little long in my opinion, which is usually not a trait of this type of music but found in classical music.  The song, That Girl, sums up this album with the lyrics "I'm in love with that girl and she told me she's in love with me."  This is an album about love and being in love with songs like Pusher Love Girl and Suit and Tie, Timberlake croons of his romance and love relationship.  While this album works for me it is not what I expected.  It sounds nothing like any of Timberlake's past albums.  But after listening to it more than once, I think it is a fantastic album because of the message of love that it sends.  

Book Talk Ideas:   N/A

Controversial Issues:  N/A

Defense:  

*I will keep the library's selection policy on hand and memorized with a good understanding  of the standards and policies to show that the selection meets the standards. 

*I will keep good and bad reviews (both electronic and print) and make sure they are from reliable and respected sources such as School of Library Journal, Booklist, and YALSA. I will have copies of these reviews to give away. 

*I will confirm the library's position to provide intellectual freedom as stated in the Library Bill of Rights and keep a copy of this.

*I will keep a written rationale to justify the reasons this material is included in the collection, such as educational significance and curriculum ties.

*I will be respectful and calm and practice "active listening".

*I will make sure I read the material and are very familiar with it.
   
* I will keep a reconsideration form on file in the event that my other strategies don't work. 



Why I Chose This CD?  Justin Timberlake is a very popular musician and actor.  He is often seen on Jimmy Falon's late night talk show.  His style of music is popular on the radio as well as ITunes.  

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment