Monday, October 28, 2013

Seventeen Magazine

Seventeen Magazine
Publisher:  Hearst Corporation
Reading Level:  14 and up

Genre:  Magazine

Annotation/Teaser:  Would you like some great tips to help you with make-up, hair, and fashion?  This is a great magazine that will give you so much more. 

Summary:  Seventeen is a magazine published 10 times a year.  It offers a wide variety of advice from beauty tips to how to eat smart.  This magazine is full of bright colorful ads as well as the latest on movies, celebrities, music, and entertainment.

Publisher:  Hearst Corporation  Hearst Corporation is one of the nation's largest diversified media and information companies. Its major interests include magazine, newspaper and business publishing, cable networks, television and radio broadcasting, Internet businesses, TV production and distribution, newspaper features distribution, business information and real estate.

Hearst Corporation (n.d.)  Retrieved from www.hearst.com

Critical Evaluation:  Seventeen Magazine is a lifestyle magazine for teens.  The bright colorful photos and advertisements will be very appealing to teenagers and young adults.  The magazine also offers advice and beauty tips.  The articles are on topics that would be of interest to teens such as, relationships, health, and celebrities.  There are also quizzes and other activities that the reader can participate in.  This magazine is well-established and has been popular with teens for many years. I read this magazine when I was a teen and found it relevant for my life.  It has a proven track record and is a great magazine for teens. 

Curriculum Ties:  N/A

Book Talk Ideas:  N/A

Controversial Issues:  N/A

Defense: 
There are no apparent challenge issues in this book.  If it were to be challenged I would do the following: 

*I will keep the library's selection policy on hand and memorized with a good understanding  of the standards and policies to show that the selection meets the standards. 

*I will keep good and bad reviews (both electronic and print) and make sure they are from reliable and respected sources such as School of Library Journal, Booklist, and YALSA. I will have copies of these reviews to give away. 

*I will confirm the library's position to provide intellectual freedom as stated in the Library Bill of Rights and keep a copy of this.

*I will keep a written rationale to justify the reasons this material is included in the collection, such as educational significance and curriculum ties.

*I will be respectful and calm and practice "active listening".

*I will make sure I read the material and are very familiar with it.
   
* I will keep a reconsideration form on file in the event that my other strategies don't work. 



Why I Chose This Magazine?  I chose this magazine because it has a proven track record with teen girls.  This magazine has been around since 1944 and is still going strong.  It remains one of the top selling magazines for teens. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment