Thursday, November 21, 2013

Battlefield 4

Battlefield 4
Developer:  Digital Illusions CE (DICE)
Publisher:  Electronic Arts (2013)
Age Recommendations:  15 years and up
Genre:  Video Game


Annotation/Teaser:  With its mulitplayer capabilities, the latest chapter in Battlefield delivers the ultimate first person shooter game with new weapons and maps. 

Overview:  While the latest Battlefield game bring features from the past, there is lots of new elements.  There is still the same four class system,  a heads-up display, and a kill cam.  Now there is the possibility of using dual scoped weapons and weapons with different firing modes.  There is also many more survival capabilities.  There are two ways to play Battlefield 4.  The single player is

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Battlefield_4

Critical Evaluation: One of the best features of Battlefield 4, is its capability for multi-player gaming.  And when I say multi-player, I mean up to 64 players in one game and many vehicles. 
When the user is navigating through the maps, there is definite clarity and realistic landscapes.  While these were two fabulous features, I was disappointed in the story.  The story is not unique.  There is a worldly conflict and there are a few soldier there to take care of the problem.  The story is not developed and makes the player feel they are being told how to play the game in multi-player mode instead of actually allowing them to explore the story.  The feature that added the most excitement for me was the destructible environments.  As the user navigates the maps, there can be lot sof destruction around them.  But also, the user has the capability to destroy.  For example, there is one map with a skyscraper where the user is allowed to take out the bottom pillars.  The skyscraper will then collapse and create a new island in the ocean that is surrounding the city. 
Another strong feature in this game is the weapons and their different capabilities.  Each game has 4 kits with each kit contains a set of weapons.  There is a big variety of weapons because once you have the kit there are a sub-class of weapons to gain and there are more weapons to unlock within each kit.  While there are some flaws that I saw in Battlefield 4,  overall, I was pleased with the games and its functions.
 
Curriculum Ties:  N/A


Book Talk Ideas:  N/A

Controversial Issues:  Violence, Death

Defense:

*I will keep the library's selection policy on hand and memorized with a good understanding  of the standards and policies to show that the selection meets the standards. 

*I will keep good and bad reviews (both electronic and print) and make sure they are from reliable and respected sources such as School of Library Journal, Booklist, and YALSA. I will have copies of these reviews to give away. 

*I will confirm the library's position to provide intellectual freedom as stated in the Library Bill of Rights and keep a copy of this.

*I will keep a written rationale to justify the reasons this material is included in the collection, such as educational significance and curriculum ties.

*I will be respectful and calm and practice "active listening".

*I will make sure I read the material and are very familiar with it.
   
* I will keep a reconsideration form on file in the event that my other strategies don't work. 



Why I Chose This Game?  I chose this game because of its popularity with teenagers and young adults. My own teens love this game and play in multi-player mode often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment